Saturday, September 19, 2009

Green Habits Keep Green in the Bank

I was thinking about it the other day... what are my most eco-friendly habits and how do those effect my personal finances. Here's the list I came up with of those green-tinted habits:

*paper: completely use both sides of paper, make grocery lists on envelopes that are mailed to me, use those same envelopes for storing coupons, receipts, etc.

*beauty: don't use hair dye, rarely use make-up (only a few times a year, if that!)

*water: take short showers, use the clothes and dishwashers only when full, don't leave the water running when not in use

*driving: minimal driving, group trips together, drive a fuel-efficient Japanese car, being a conscious driver (no quick stops or speeding)

*clothes: buy second hand clothes, happily accept hand-me-downs, mend and rotate clothes currently have, wash clothes only when necessary to increase their life

*books & videos: borrow from the library

*computer: hibernate or shut down when not in use

*rubbish: compost foodstuff for garden soil, recycle what I can, reduce purchases that have lots of packaging

Those are some of the areas that I feel I at least a little green in and that may be helping me to hold onto more of my greenbacks. How about you? What green habits of yours are allowing you to keep more green in your bank?

2 comments:

SonyaAnn said...

Nice post! I have to dye my hair though. Stupid grays.

Jules said...

Hehe, no worries Sonya Ann. I like grey hair, but your red-hue is beautiful, too, so keep up the dying : ).